Blog Update

Hello, readers of Mystical Pagan

Please feel free to browse around and look over the many posts that can be found here. I hope you find them useful.

Blessings...
Ma'iingan

Pinned Post

How to Become a Witch/Wiccan

It is often asked where one should start when they've discovered this wonderful system. First of all, when you ask this question, does...

Saturday, January 28, 2017

"Where Can I Get Herbs for Practice?"

Common Mallow Weed
It's a fairly common question I see on a regular basis from people within the Pagan community, asking where they can go, either in a brick-and-mortar building or online, to purchase the herbs they "need" to practice their Witchy paths. 

I used to be one who used to worry that I couldn't practice my path because I didn't have access to such herbs as Angelica. My local stores only sold the very basics of herbs in the culinary section...and it was just as limiting going to a bulk store. That, and most stores often add "filler" to their herbs, so you never know if you're getting the genuine article.

But...I took it upon myself to do some independent learning and discovered the magic of plants that grow in our very own yards, and it cost me all of $0 to collect. Now, I don't suggest people go out and take the same course I did (for one, I don't think the course is offered anymore, and two, it was a whopping $600 to take, but it attained me an accredited certificate (endorsed by my gov't) in herbal healing, so I know what I'm talking about when I discuss plants and herbs). 

What I do mean is, to take a little time and maybe obtain some books on common plants that may grow in your area. The Magic and Medicine of Plants is one book I reference a lot (though was not part of my studies...I got this book a LONG time ago, I believe from my mother). It's a wealth of information on common plants that grow all over the place. Flipping through the pages I discovered so many plants that grew in my very own back yard were plants that are most often called for in many spells and ritual packets. 

I discovered the tall plants with yellow flowers and huge, broad leaves growing in behind my neighbors garage was actually Mullein. Not only is it magically useful, but also useful for respiratory issues; the broad flat leaves with straight veins that grew in my yard ended up being plantain, good for skin issues, such as insect bites. The large, thorny plants with purple flowers growing beside my house? Blessed Thistle (there's also some stinging nettle and poison ivy as well lol. We had the unfortunate luck of finding them while removing "weeds" from where we wanted to build a shed). These plants are growing in and around my home, yet I was worried about how I was going to buy these items (because at the time I did not have a credit card for online purchases). 

It's amazing if one is to look at what we consider "common weeds", are actually VERY useful, not only medicinally, but magically as well. Last year I discovered a new plant; bindweed. It was growing all over a neighbors ditch. Our campsite we go to every year? Contains St. John's Wort!

I think people are starting to get too into the commercial value of Paganism and are losing touch with discovering what's growing outside their own homes. They're moving away from the natural aspect of the system because of the "freedom" of the internet. If you want a plant to incorporate into one of your spells? You probably have some growing in your back yard and don't even know it. A house I lived in about 6 years ago had wild white sage growing in the front yard (I managed to pick a big bunch before we moved). My husband's grandparents also have wild sage growing outside of their home (I also managed to pick a bunch before we left lol). 

I think it's rather important for people to start researching the plants and herbs growing in their area. For one thing it will save you in the wallet. Another, because these are considered "weeds" and grow wild, the don't require anyone to be a gardener, so you don't need any specific skills. Lastly, it brings you that much closer to nature, and thus the divine. 


No comments:

Post a Comment