Blog Update

Hello, readers of Mystical Pagan

Please feel free to browse around and look over the many posts that can be found here. I hope you find them useful.

Blessings...
Ma'iingan

Pinned Post

How to Become a Witch/Wiccan

It is often asked where one should start when they've discovered this wonderful system. First of all, when you ask this question, does...

Monday, April 24, 2017

Dollar Store Paganism: Altars

The Dollar Store can be a great resource for the thrifty/budget conscious practitioner. It's my main go-to store for the majority of my Witchy needs. There are few places other than dollar/discount stores that I go to for the recurring things I need. They offer a wide variety of items you can use either to decorate your space, or use for practical applications. 


The above image shows the last setup of my altar (I have since taken it down due to, what I believe is a spiritual shift, but eventually plan on erecting a new one). 

Out of all the items placed on my altar 7 were bought from a dollar store, 3 from Walmart, 1 from a liquidation store, and the rest were given to/made by me. 

Dollar Store Items:
-Acrylic leaves/acorns (representing the season of Samhain, when the image was taken)
-White battery operated candle (I cannot light real candles in my home due to breathing issues)
-Goddess statue
-Purple notebook
-Items to assemble Besome
-Oil bottle

Liquidation (discount) Store:
-Offering dish (silver circle center bottom)
-Silver Chalice (not pictured)

Walmart:
-Pentacle (under faux-fur tail)
-Lighter (on purple notebook)
-Altar cloth

Gifted:
-Key
-Gold box w/red interior
-Abalone shell w/sweetgrass braid
-Black pillar candle
-Turtle figurine

Made by Me:
-Prayer book (under purple notebook)
-Spell in progress (in pouch in gold box)
-Besome (top left corner)
-Willow branch ring (adorns statue, acquired at a local park

I have to say this isn't the best image of my altar, but it's what I have for now. And ALL of the items here could have easily been bought from one dollar store, as opposed to the two other stores I bought from.

For example:
Offering dish: small plate, ash tray, wide-mouthed bottle
Incense holder: ash tray, bottle with sand
Chalice: wine glass, plastic cups
Pentacle: plate w/pentagram painted on it
Altar cloth: cheap blanket/sheet

If you have an imagination, you can use anything within a dollar store to use for your magical endeavors. 

No comments:

Post a Comment