Blog Update

Hello, readers of Mystical Pagan

Please feel free to browse around and look over the many posts that can be found here. I hope you find them useful.

Blessings...
Ma'iingan

Pinned Post

How to Become a Witch/Wiccan

It is often asked where one should start when they've discovered this wonderful system. First of all, when you ask this question, does...

Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Life Before the Witch

A spark of blogging inspiration hit me after reading an introduction in one of my Pagan groups: life before I became a Witch.


The same boring story I tell everyone on how I became a Pagan has a couple of beginnings. I was first interested in being Pagan after reading an article in a magazine about a family of Wiccans. They made it sound like something I would like...but, having VERY limited resources and ZERO contacts at the time, the interest fizzled out until around the time I got my first job with internet access. Bored internet surfing found me looking up Witchcraft, and my interest was reignited. I began reading what I could find online, I joined a "school" and printed off lessons to do at home, but again, my interest waned as I got married and a few heartbreaking events took place. Eventually I took up study again and kept going.

But that's the boring story of how I started. The story I want to tell is before this...far before.

I don't believe people are born into Witchcraft, I believe that to be a Witch requires study, and I tell people this all the time. I MAY believe, though, that people may have a natural tendency towards the craft (but this doesn't negate the NEED that people require to study...no sudden realization of mystical powers at age 16).

I'd always been fascinated with nature (except with bugs...I hate bugs, any sort of flying insect I loathe with a passion lol). For as long as I can remember I'd always loved being outside, and, growing up in the era WAY before the onset of social media and hand-held computing devices, this wasn't a problem. I wasn't your typical girl obsessed with makeup and dresses or being a princess. I spent my days digging in the dirt, making mudpies and playing with my neighbor/friends Tonka trucks. 

Growing up my mom would take me on nature walks. We'd talk about the usefulness of plants, how to identify certain plants and what attributes from these plants were good for what. My family had the opportunity to move to a rather wooded, remote, rural area of north-eastern Ontario with access to the woods. I would spend my days outside from the time I got home from school until dinner, then until bed time. Weekends I was outside until I was hungry or it was time for bed. I would pretend to make potions, play with plants as though they were mystical herbs...I even (*blush*) used to poke the bubbles of the Balsam tree as often as I could because it was fascinating that the tree stores its sap in this way (even today, at 35 I STILL do this lol).

So even back then, as a child, I'd always been a nature-child or a budding Witch, without really realizing it. At the time I only believed Witches existed in movies and fairy-tale books, and through the bored search many, many years later, I discovered I could become one.

But just because **I** as a child had a fascination with more natural ways of life, doesn't mean this is the way for all Witches. A Witch can grow up in this fast-paced world of technology, hand held devices and social media and STILL become a Witch. There's hope for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment